Former Australian cricketer Michael Slater has been slapped with criminal charges of assault and stalking/intimidating a woman following an incident last month. Notably, Slater was arrested at Sydney’s Manly police station after police were called to a unit in Manly on April 26.
“About 9.20 pm (Tuesday, April 26 2022), officers attached to Northern Beaches Police Area Command were called to a unit on West Promenade, Manly,” Police said in an official statement.
“On arrival, police were told a 52-year-old man had allegedly assaulted a 35-year-old woman. On the basis of these allegations, Police were looking to arrest Michael Slater.” the statement added.
The former Australian Test batter has been granted bail after fronting a magistrate with the condition that he did not contact the alleged victim or use any alcohol or illegal drugs.
As per the media reports, charges were raised that he stalked or intimidated his ex-partner. He even used carrier services to harass her. However, all these alleged charges were squashed away on May 27 2022, by the Waverley Local Court.
Magistrate Ross Hudson said that the “cricketer’s health appeared to have somewhat ‘unravelled’. A breach of an apprehended violence order – where he sent messages to his ex-partner – appeared to be a ‘cry for help’. The charges were quashed.”
Earlier this month, Slater was rushed to the hospital on mental health grounds after he faced the charges. A police prosecutor told the court that the ex-Aussie cricketer was ‘detained’ by police and ambulance officers the previous night.
As of now, police have applied a violence order to protect the alleged victim as Slater will look to fight these charges in January next year.